Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine Hospital of Zhejiang Province, Hangzhou Red Cross Hospital, formerly known as the Hangzhou Charity Hospital, which was established in 1928 and founded by the French Catholic charity. In 1951, Hangzhou Federation of trade unions took over the Charity Hospital, and in April 1952, Hangzhou Municipal Government Health Bureau issued the document to take over the Charity Hospital. It was formally taken over on January 1953, and was renamed Hangzhou Worker Health care hospital. In 1955, it merged with the Chinese Red Cross hospital Hangzhou Branch, and was renamed the Hangzhou Red Cross Hospital. In 1967, its name was changed for the Hangzhou Fifth Hospital. But the name of Hangzhou Red Cross Hospital is reused since 1978. In 1985, it approved by the Zhejiang Health Department as traditional Chinese and Western Medicine Hospital of Zhejiang Province, and renamed Zhejiang traditional Chinese and Western Medicine Hospital in 1998. In 2001, our hospital became the traditional Chinese and Western Medicine Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, and in 2008, it became the Red Cross Affiliated Hospital of Hangzhou Normal University. Above on, it is one of the oldest hospitals in Hangzhou.
In the forty's, there were only two modern church hospitals in Hangzhou, one of them was Daomaoxiang French Catholic Charity Hospital (French name was Sacred Heart Hospital). Owing to the Dean of the Charity hospital was a Hungarian nun, the hospital could continue to maintain the daily medical treatment after the fall. The medicine and scale of the Charity Hospital were paramount in Hangzhou before the liberation, and the working environment and health protection at that time were quite different compared today’s. The X-ray machine was regarded as superb imported equipment in Hangzhou, but today it's just a "bare machine" lacking of radiation protection. In the 1930s, the lower edge of the wall in the operating room was covered with white tiles, window glasses in the eastern and southern were coated with creamy yellow paint, covered the direct sun light. The ground was covered with colour sand. The glass cabinet stored the surgical instruments. The operating table could be lifted, which was imported through the church from Germany. There was no shadowless lamp, only installed several fluorescent lamps on the roof. It was that operation room saved many wounded anti-Japanese soldiers and poor people at that time.
The Charity Church Hospital was founded by the foreign Mother Superior, and implemented patriarchy governance mode. The nuns in the hospital were all wearing black dress and white hat.
In 1947, the hospital set up the board of directors, implemented physician Dean system. In 1951, the hospital was taken over by the Hangzhou branch of China Relief Association. After many changes, it finally directly under the jurisdiction of the Hangzhou Municipal Health Bureau.
The establishment of our hospital had laid the foundation for the development of Western medicine in Hangzhou. The hospital had first-class ward, common ward, and free ward, and also had Haixing kindergarten, Haixing girl's high school, miso Jue elementary school and charity senior nursing school at its inception. In the early stage of new China, hospital was taken over by the government. After the appointment of president Wang Liming, all the persons of virtue arrived, the academic atmosphere ever become active, the hospital was progressing steadily until 1965. During the Culture Revolution, although the hospital was damaged, medical staff still made every effort to treat patients. During the rectify the recovery period, the hospital strong advocated the combination of traditional Chinese and Western Medicine. Ward rounds, diagnosis and treatment insisting on the conception of traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, which laid the foundation of traditional Chinese and Western medicine. Meanwhile, the hospital carried out the earliest renal transplantation in Zhejiang province. In 1995, our hospital became the first Class III Rank A hospital of traditional Chinese and western medicine in China.